Monday 22 July 2013

Blueberry Banana Muffins

Today, I shall attempt to scale Mount Blueberry Banana Muffin.  Never before have I attempted this feat.  Blueberry muffins, yes. Banana muffins... yes.  But never before have I combined the two.

Today shall be the day.  I have some very ripe banana`s and a fridge full of blue berries, and they are just calling to have something done with them.  And of course, I shall complete this mission before work today!

Here is the recipe that I am attempting.  The reviews are great for it, and it sounds really easy.


Blue Berry Banana Muffins

3 ripe Banana`s.
1 Egg, slightly beaten
3/4 Cup Sugar
1/3 Cup Butter, melted
1 Cup Blueberries
1 Tsp Baking Soda
1 Tsp Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp Salt
1 1/2 Cups Flour

Mash Banana's in a large mixing bowl.

Add in beaten Egg, Sugar and melted Butter.

Stir in Blueberries.

In small bowl, combine dry ingredients.  Stir in to the batter mixture, taking care with the blueberries.

Spoon into greased muffin tin and bake for 20 minutes at *375.

So, Here's how it went for me:

I put banana's into bowl.  

 Decide to use my Kitchen Aid to do the hard work of mashing them.

I beat egg, in a cup, measure out the sugar, and put it into the bowl with the egg.

Oh yes!  This works wonderfully for mashing the banana's! 

I measure out the dry ingredients.

And this is where it all goes wrong!

 I then remember, I am supposed to call the Realtor about the sale of our house at 9:00.  It is now 9:01 so I decide to make the call while baking.  Realtor tells me someone has but in a crazy low offer while I am measuring butter.  (This is where my multi-tasking goes wrong).

I add in the sugar and egg.

Oh look!  I'm about to add my beautifully melted butter!

I add it in, give it a mix, then dump in the blueberries. 

I hand stir the blueberries so I don 't squish them.

Then I hand stir in the dry ingredients and scoop it into my muffin tins, which are a large sized.   I filled 7 of them.  Then they go into my preheated oven.

I set the timer, then review the recipe to type out here...  this is where I realize my mistake.

As I re-read the recipe I ask myself,  Just how much butter DID I add?  Oh-oh.  Instead of 1/3 cups, I added 2/3 cups.  Holy!  How the heck can I fix this one?  I'm not even sure I can.  

First thought is!  OMG!  It's only been 5 minutes!  I can scrape them out and double the recipe!  But No!  This will not work.  I only have 1 1/2 banana's left!  

Goodness.... I'm torn what to do?!!!  Leave them or try and fix it?!!!

I can't just leave them!  No.  I pull them out.   I mash up the remaining banana, add in another amount of sugar, egg, and dry ingredients, and a bunch more blueberries, mix it them add the over buttered batter to that... mix well, and into greased and floured bread pans they go.

At this point I am seriously questioning my abilities in the kitchen and the wisdom of even starting this blog. 

The smells wafting from the kitchen are good.  The loaves look not to bad, but the feel moist, even though the toothpick was coming out clean. 


Ok, so I did a taste test once they cooled down enough to cut, and it does taste pretty darn good!  My children shall love me after all!


But I will not give up!  I shall attempt these muffins again one day!  

2 comments:

  1. Boy! Quick eye and quick fix! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, it turned out really good. The kids loved it and I can't stop eating it either. I thought for sure I would have to toss them. Glad it was a save and success!

    ReplyDelete