Friday 5 July 2013

How Not To Magically Turn Spaghetti Sauce Into Chili

Today in the kitchen I was attempting to cheat making chili.  Oh yes I did.  I got home from work, and was to tired to start something from the beginning, so was going to make something new from something old.

And just what was I using that is old, you may ask?  I was using some of my delicious spaghetti sauce that I was so clever to make a few weeks back.  Of course I always make way, way too much.  Most times this is accidental, but sometimes I like to do this on purpose.  This was one of those "On purpose" times.  You see, if you make up a huge pot of spaghetti sauce you can break it down into smaller portions and freeze them for a quick meal.  Or if you are adventurous, you can can the spaghetti sauce.  This is great too.

So today, I figured that I would save some time and magically turn my spaghetti into Chili.  "Ta-Da!"  

I chopped up some thick cut bacon and browned it in a pot, then drained it once it was cooked enough.  Next I put in my spaghetti sauce.  Now the magic is happening.  Open a can of kidney beans, drain and rinse... into the pot you go.  Next toss in a can of baked beans.  Give it a stir.  Are we done yet?  No.  How about a dash of liquid smoke?  Now the spices!  Ok, This is where my magic often goes astray.  I fail to measure the spices.  I dump in some Chili powder and some Cumin.  Ever smelled Cumin?  It smells great.  So I dump in some more... very precisely.  Give it a stir.  Wait a minute for it to heat some.  And a taste... hmmmm...  a little bland.  Well this is were I am bound for failure pretty much every time.  Maybe if I would just leave it and let it simmer, the flavors would come out a little more (don't forget that I already have spices from when I made the spaghetti sauce).  Anyways.  I taste.  I think.  Then I do what my nature can not resist.  I add MORE Chili, and Cumin....  perhaps too much.  So, I stir and simmer a little more, then taste again.  

Yep.  I did it, just as I knew I would.  I added too much.  It is way to spicy for me, I'm suspecting.  So I have a very small sample bowl... with sour cream.  By the time I am done, my eyes are sweating.  Who knew eyes could sweat?  I knew.  I've done this before.

Is all lost you ask?  Will she toss the pot of chlli?  

No! No, she will not!

Lucky for me that I made such a big pot of spaghetti sauce, that I have another container in the fridge to add to my flaming chili.  So into the pot goes more spaghetti and beans to calm the flames.  

The only problem is, I went from having a manageable cauldron of chilli bubbling to a big pot.  

Hmmmm.... Who shall I pawn some of this off on?  Bet my parents like chili...  they have no choice now.  I shall be the best daughter ever and bring them a nice container of chili.

No comments:

Post a Comment