Monday 26 August 2013

Giant Stuffed Pizza Pockets ~ Saucy Calzones

This evening I made great big Pizza Pockets for dinner.  Well, I actually always think of them as Calzones, but Calzones don't actually have sauce in them.  Personally, I would rather have my sauce in them then dipping them... but that's just me.

These also work well to make ahead of time and reheat.  They're pretty good cold to bring along for a snack, and they freeze really well.

Pizza Dough

3 1/2 - 4 Cups Flour
1 Tsp Sugar
2 Tsp Salt
1 pkg (2 1/4 Tsp) Active Yeast 
1 1/12 (110*F) Warm Water
1 Tbsp Oil

You can either do this pizza dough in your bread machine on the dough setting, in your Kitchen Aid or mix it up by hand.

In Kitchen Aid mix the dry ingredients, Flour, Sugar, Salt, and Yeast.  Turn mixer onto medium speed and slowly add water, then oil.  If dough is too sticky, add a little more flour about a table spoon at a time.  If dough is too dry add a tablespoon of water at a time.  Let it go on medium speed until it is well blended and forms a ball.  I let the machine knead it for a few minutes, then I turn it out on a floured surface and knead it for a little while longer until it forms a smooth elastic ball.  Place dough in a greased large bowl and turn it over so that the oil coats the ball of dough.  Let it rise for an hour.  Punch down dough, and cut it into 4 pieces, make it into balls and let it rest for 10 minutes.

Dough in greased bowl.
 While Dough is rising, do your stuffing prep.  It's a good time to grate or cube cheese, chop up some veggies and slice your meat.  Get your sauce all ready to go.


Your Choice Of Topping or Stuffings...  It's all up to you!

We like:
Pepperoni
Ham
Onions
Mushrooms
Green Peppers
Cheddar Cheese
Mozza Cheese's


Pizza Sauce,  or I use Campbell's Tomato with Basil and Oregano.


After the dough has risen for about an hour it should be about double in size.  ~ Here's a little tip.  When I let my dough rise, I cover it, and put it in the oven, then turn on the oven light and close the door.  The oven light will create some heat and help your dough to rise.

Punch down dough and divide into for balls.  Let them rest for 10 minutes.

Flatten out dough ball on a floured surface.  Sprinkle a little flour on top.

 Roll dough into a 10 or 11 inch circle.

Trasfer dough to parchment paper lined or greased baking sheet.

Now is the time to put on your sauce.  I love this sauce!!!

Spread the sauce in the middle leaving about an inch around the edges.

On half spread your veggies....

And your meat.

Next add your cheese.

Now pull the topping free half over the toppings.  You can stretch it a little.

Start at one end, pinching and rolling as you go.

Work your way around to the other end.

Cut in some vent holes, and brush with some oil.

This is optional.  You can sprinkle on some spices like oregano or basil and some Parmesan cheese.

I fit 2 per baking sheet.  Let them rest for 1/2 hour before baking.

Bake at 350* for half an our until nicely browned.  Remove to cooling rack and let set for a couple minutes to cool.


Careful you don't burn your mouth!  These are soooo yummy!

3 comments:

  1. Those look very yummy! I will have to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if letting them rest for 1/2 hour helps them to leak less....I am infamous for my leaky turnovers/perogies?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They do firm up if you let them sit for a bit and cool some. I just couldn't resist and had to dig into them right away. These freeze great and you can reheat them for a quick meal.

    ReplyDelete